Friday, February 24, 2012

Our First Week of Class

I feel as though I've been here for a long time, yet, it is only 12 days that I've been in Thailand. Already I know my way around the campus, how to get to places on the BTS (Bangkok's overhead train system), where to go for a good Thai massage, to shop for groceries, to get my laundry done, and I am gradually getting used to the bed, which feels like I'm sleeping on a board. The Thai massage ranges between pure euphoria and pure torture--especially when the masseuse finds every sore spot in your body and digs her elbow into it. But I am a glutten for punishment, as I plan on getting this massage at least once a week--the cost is around $13 for 2 hours, a cost you cannot beat.

Overall, it has been a very stimulating first week of classroom study. The lecturers we had this week were Tom Woodhouse (one of the authors of Contempory Conflict Resolution, a seminal work in the area of peace and conflict resolution studies) and Irene Santiago, who provided us with an overview of how gender should be part of the analysis and practical application of peace efforts.  While we were all exhausted after a full week of class (7 hours a day, 5 days a week), we all came away stimulated and actively engaged in discussions outside of class.  This week we were introduced to theory and concepts, as well as participated in simulations realted to the negotiation process, had group work with case studies on peace making efforts, and analyzed our own style of conflict management. 
Presentation on My Individual Conflict Project
Of course, the week also included a number of social activities that helped us relax and enjoy the area here in Bangkok.  One very unique outing we had was to a restaurant called Cabbages and Condoms.  Yes, condoms.  It is run by an NGO that supports HIV-AIDS prevention efforts.  Indeed, it was an experience to behold.  The decorations included numerous artistic items, all made from multi-colored condoms.  The picture below shows me next to Combat Condom Guy. 

Joyce and Combat Condom Guy
That's all for this week...I'm sure our next week in class also be exciting.  We have lots of reading to complete and must prepare ourselves to write our first paper, which is an analysis of our individual conflict project.

No comments:

Post a Comment